Print this Page
CRIME PREVENTION TIPS
Be street wise and safe:
- Stand tall and walk confidently. Watch where you are going and what is happening around you.
- Stick to well-lighted and busy streets. Walk with friends. Avoid shortcuts through a dark alley or a deserted street.
- If harassed from a vehicle, walk quickly or run in the opposite direction to safety. If you are really scared, scream.
- Never hitchhike; accept rides only from people you know and trust.
- Do not flash your cash; carry only money you need for the day. Always have emergency change for a telephone call; plan on your cell phone not working when you really need it.
- Know your neighborhood! What hours are stores and restaurants open? Where are the police and fire stations, libraries, and schools? You might need them in an emergency.
- If you go out for a late snack or a midnight movie, take a friend. Do not go alone. Most assaults happen to a lone victim.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you will come back. Call if you are going to be late.
- If you are driving, park your vehicle in a well-lighted location and lock it when you leave. Check for uninvited passengers in the back seat or on the floor before you get inside the vehicle.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Do not wait until you get to the vehicle to look for your keys.
- Alter your routine. Change daily patterns and if possible, take different routes to work or to school. Park in different locations that are well lighted.
When jogging or bicycling:
- Go with a friend and take a familiar and well-traveled route.
- Do not jog or bike at night.
- Refrain from using your stereo headphones. It is safer to remain alert to what is around and behind you.
If you are a victim of crime:
- Try not to panic if someone attacks you. Look at the attacker carefully so you can give a good description to the police. Try to remember key things like approximate age, gender, race, complexion, body build, clothing, approximate height and weight, hair eyes or unusual features.
- Report all crime to law enforcement. For non-emergencies in Columbus, call 645-4545. For life-threatening emergencies call 911.
- If the attacker has a weapon and only wants your money or possessions, do not fight. Your life and safety are more important!
- If a gang harasses you, go to an open store, gas station, firehouse or any place where there are people present and contact law enforcement.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.cyberblockwatch.com/crime-prevention/get-involved/