Print this Page
Home fire safety
HOME FIRE SAFETY
- When buying, building or renovating your home, make sure all roofing materials are fire resistant.
- Never leave candles or other open flames burning unattended.
- Douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before dumping them in the trash.
- Don't leave hot irons, or burning stovetops and outdoor grills unattended while in use. Double-check that you've turned them off after use.
- Regularly clear and dispose of dry or dead vegetation in your yard or areas near your home.
- Make sure the lid stays on your trash can, and store firewood and other combustibles away from your home.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. For the best detection and notification protection, install both ionization and photoelectric-type smoke alarms. Put them inside or near every bedroom. Test them monthly to make sure they work. Put in new batteries once a year.
- Make a fire escape plan for your family. Find two exits out of every room. Pick a meeting place outside. Practice makes perfect - hold a family fire drill at least twice each year.
- Be sure your street address is visibly posted so that firefighters can identify your home in the event of an emergency.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.cyberblockwatch.com/crime-prevention/home-fire-safety/