PREPARING YOUR HOME FOR VACATION
Vacations, the much deserved time we have to get a break from work, or if retired to travel to far off places. It is time to spend with family or visit places we have wanted to see since childhood. Sometimes, you just want to “Get away from it all” and recuperate from the complexities of work. Regardless of the reason, vacations have become part of our way of life. They are supposed to be a time for fun and relaxation. Don't let your vacation be ruined by becoming another crime statistic. Before leaving, take time to prepare your home so that upon your return your vacation memories will not be ruined. The following precautions will help you to have a safe and enjoyable vacation.
Before You Leave Home:
- Plan your trip and give the itinerary with emergency phone numbers to a trusted friend or neighbor.
- Invest in exterior lights that have photocells; when the sun goes down the outside lights come on (use year round)
- Install good locks on your doors and windows and be sure to use them.
- Remove all exterior "hidden" house keys.
- Make sure all valuables are engraved with your driver's license number and expiration date.
- Make a record of your credit card and travelers check numbers and keep it in a safe place.
- Arrange for a friend or neighbor to pick up your mail, packages and newspapers on a daily basis. You can also stop delivery of both for the time you will be gone.
- Make arrangements to have your lawns mowed and watered.
- Use timers for interior lights and radios. Make your house look "lived in."
- Give your local law enforcement agency the dates that you will be out of town. As time permits, they will conduct extra patrols of your neighborhood.
- Make arrangements for the care of your pets.
Remember, vacation planning, thought, and security awareness will reduce your chances of becoming the next victim of a crime. Please call the non-emergency line at 645-4545 to have a house watch initiated while you are on vacation.